When used internally and externally, it treats different health problems due to its composition of medium chain fatty acids.
One of these medium chain fatty acids is the lauric acid which gives it anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-microbial properties.
Overall, it helps to fight infection and improves the health of your dog.
When used as a nutritional supplement, simply add it to their food and/or water. Most dogs love the taste and take it as a “treat”.
Most important is its infection fighting properties which come from the lauric acid (makes up 50% of coconut oil). The only other abundant source of lauric acid is through mother’s breast milk.
As we all know, breast milk plays a major role in keeping infants healthy and protecting them against infection. It can help you and your dog in the same way.
ASTONISHING BENEFITS OF COCONUT OIL FOR DOGS
- Helps relieve and clear up skin conditions such as itchy skin, dermatitis, eczema, and flea allergies.
- Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections.
- Promotes wound healing and great for bites and stings.
- Gives your dog a beautiful, healthy coat.
COCONUT OIL FOR DOGS – HOW IT HELPS THE IMMUNE SYSTEM:
- Contains lauric acid which gives it anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-microbial properties.
- Increases energy and helps reduce weight.
- Helps to prevent or control diabetes.
- Promotes normal thyroid function.
- Helps with arthritis.
COCONUT OIL FOR DOGS – HOW IT HELPS WITH DIGESTION:
- Improves digestion and helps the body to absorb vitamins and nutrients
- Treats bad breath and even eliminates it
- Helps to heal digestive disorders such as colitis and inflammation
HOW MUCH COCONUT OIL SHOULD I GIVE MY DOG?
When getting ready to feed your dog coconut oil, you should slowly introduce it to your dog a little at a time.
If given too much at first, it may cause upset stomach, diarrhea, or vomiting. This is because it has a detoxification effect that your dog may need to adjust to.
It’s recommended to start with 1/4 teaspoon for small dogs and 1 teaspoon for large dogs.
Every few days, gradually increase the serving.
The recommended dose for dogs is 1/4 teaspoon for every 10 pounds of weight, twice daily. If you’re unsure, you can always check with your vet.
When fed regularly to your dog, it can have many benefits for their skin, digestion, and immune system.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST COCONUT OIL FOR DOGS
The best kind of coconut oil for pets and for humans would be:
- Unrefined, also called virgin coconut oil
This is the brand that I use and absolutely love it.
You will notice it has a solid white form when at room temperature but turns into a liquid when above 78 degrees.
When applied topically, it actually melts in the palm of your hands and is easily absorbed.
Your dogs will love you for keeping them healthy and feeling great. Not only is it good for dogs, but coconut oil for pets is also good for cats, birds, and ferrets.
LIKE THIS POST?
Sign up for my blog updates and never miss a post. I’ll send you a FREE eBook as a thank-you.
This post may contain affiliate links for products I love. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I will earn a commission at no extra cost to you. For my full disclaimer, please click here.